2009年11月12日木曜日

The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Stories



Then he spoke words that I will never forget. “Now do you hear it? I heard it. I
have heard it for many minutes, many hours, and many days, but I could not
speak. Now I am telling you. She was alive when we put her in the tomb! Will she
be here soon? Is she coming to punish me? Can I hear her feet on the stairs? Can
I hear the sound of her heart?”


It was a first time I read novels written by Poe. I learned about Poe last semester and I thought that I wanted to read his novels. I found this novel which was retold to read easily by a writer in the library. Then I decided to read it soon. It is consisted of five storied; The Fall of the House of Usher, The Maelstrom, The Barrel of Amontillado, The Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Stolen Letter.
Firstly I read “The Fall of the House of Usher.” I think it is one of the most famous novels of Poe’s. I watched the movie a little when I learned about him. It was so scaring and dark movie to me. I especially scared Madeline and Usher and I think I can’t live with them even if Usher is a friend of mine. If I have to take care of him, I may take him out from the house. It was weird that a story of Ethelred and their condition had a similar circumstance.
Next, I read "The Maelstrom" and it was weird story too. It seems like a Japanese old story, Urashimataro. The old man said that he became old when he realized. I couldn't understand the true meaning of the story.
Then, I read "The Barrel of Amontillado." It was a story of murder. The beginning was filled with Monstresor's hate for Fortunato. It was easy to understand how Monstresor desired to kill Fortunato. In addition, Monstresor had a brutal personality because he pretended that they were good friends even if he thought of Fortunato's death. The end of the story was terrifying. There might be something in the tombs.
Next, I read "The Murders in the Rue Morgue." It was a brighter story than the other stories. The process of solving mystery was interesting. It was impossible to clarify the murder's nationality because there were many testimony to it. Many readers may think that the murder is human. However, he was not a human but an orangutan! It was easy to satisfy readers about the testimony.
Finally, I read "The Stolen Letter." It is so hard for me to understand what "D---" and "G---" mean. I want to ask someone, who are a English speaker, about the meaning if I have a opportunity. (452 words)

It was written by Edgar Allan Poe, published by Pearson Education Limited. YL is 3.4 and 11,000 words.

0 件のコメント: